Deep Fried Monte Enebro & Orange Blossom Honey
11 ounces Monte Enebro cheese, cut into 4 slices
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons orange blossom honey
1 medium raw beetroot, trimmed
extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- Prepare the beetroot by slicing it very thinly, ideally with a mandolin. Rinse in water, then pat dry.
- Pour enough olive oil into a frying-pan so that it comes 1cm up the sides of the pan. Heat the pan until the oil starts to shimmer. Add the beetroot. The oil will bubble as the moisture from the beetroot evaporates and you’ll notice that the bubbles lessen as the beetroot turns a beautiful purple. Set aside on kitchen paper. Season with salt.
- Pat the cheese rounds in flour on both sides so they are well covered, then dunk them in the egg mix.
- Pop them into the frying-pan and fry over a high heat for a minute – turning over the cheese halfway through – until a golden crust forms. If the cheese is completely covered by oil, the rounds will need to cook for only 30 seconds. Put the cheese on kitchen paper.
- Arrange the cheese rounds on a flat plate and drizzle over the honey in a zig-zag pattern. Serve with the beetroot crisps.
Recipe courtesy of Telegraph.co.uk